The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL
) will now take less than two hours to complete instead of three hours , the Educational Testing Services
(ETS) announced on Tuesday. Candidates will be
able to see their official score release date upon completion of the test. This has been done to create an optimal
experience for those taking it. Changes will be effective from July 26.
Welcomed my bore than 10,000
institutes in over 150 countries, TOEFL is universally accepted in destinations like the United States, Canada,
Australia, and New Zealand, and by over 98 per cent of universities in the UK.In the upcoming
months, TOEFL test takers in India can expect the following changes:
- A shortened TOEFL iBT test for administrations beginning July 26, 2023. The test will now take less than two
hours to complete as compared to previous three hours.
- Streamlined instructions and navigation throughout the test
- A new, more modern “Writing for an Academic Discussion” task, which replaces the previous Independent
- A shorter Reading section
- The removal of all unscored test questions
- A simplified registration process beginning July 2023. Test takers can create an account and register for an
available TOEFL iBT test date quicker and easier than ever before.
- Increased score transparency beginning July 26, 2023. Test takers will see their official score release date
upon completion of the test, in addition to receiving real-time notification of changes to their score
- More localized benefits, such as additional local payment options, effective immediately and expanded in the
coming weeks. For the first time, test prices will be presented in their cart in INR.
- A dedicated customer service center, effective immediately. This center is exclusively for Indian test
takers, available 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.
According to ETS, while the reading section will be shortened, the "independent writing task" will be
replaced by the "writing for an academic discussion". All unscored questions will also be removed from the exam.
Test takers will see their official score release date upon completion of the test, in addition to
receiving real-time notification of changes to their score status.
"ETS is driving the future of assessment
through product innovations across education and learning, and TOEFL is core to that effort. TOEFL has been an
industry standard for nearly six decades, and these enhancements further underscore its position. Most importantly,
these enhancements were developed through the lens of our customers and stakeholders," said Amit Sevak, CEO of ETS.
Sevak explained that the registration process has been simplified and for the first time test prices will
be available in Indian rupees.
"A simplified registration process will be
available beginning July, 2023. Test takers can create an account and register for an available TOEFL iBT test date
quicker and easier than ever before," he said.
Speaking on these changes, Mr. Nishidhar Reddy Borra, Managing
Director, Atlas Education Consultants Pvt. Ltd, said: “We welcome these enhancements to the TOEFL iBT test as it
will immensely benefit lacs of Indian study abroad aspirants who take TOEFL year-on-year. With a dedicated customer
support center and availability of local payment options, study abroad consultants will be better placed to support
Test takers who have already registered for a TOEFL iBT test have the option to reschedule
their test date for free, if they’d like to experience these new enhancements, or move up their test date before
they take effect. Free reschedules can be made until April 30, 2023, via their TOEFL account. In addition, updated
versions of the TOEFL iBT Free Practice Test and TOEFL iBT Practice Sets are now available on the TOEFL website.
Additional free and paid test prep options will be updated to reflect these changes in the next few weeks.